Mentoring Women in Ministry Article for April 09
Growing up as the daughter of Latino Pentecostal pastors was an exciting experience. I had the amazing privilege to watch my parents serve the Lord and learn about the intricate workings of the local church. I was involved in several different ministries and was placed in leadership at a very young age. I am grateful for all of the experiences God allowed me to live as a result of my parents’ obedience to His call.
Nevertheless, as I look back toward my adolescent and young adult years, I can’t help but notice that my world revolved solely around the church and other Christians. As I mentioned before, I was practically raised in my father’s church. I attended a Christian private school for a period of time. I graduated high school and attended a Christian university where I met amazing Christian friends. I met my Christian husband there as well, got married and returned to serve in my father’s church. Later, my husband and I began a Christian music institute and worked for four years as full-time ministers. All of these experiences were wonderful and life changing. However, I cannot deny the regret that I feel when I realize that I barely interacted with unbelievers. I admit that I was comfortably living in my secluded Christian “bubble”.
As one reads through the Gospels, it is evident that Jesus did not live in such a “bubble”. He surpassed all barriers to be with the unbelievers. It was said that Jesus constantly “welcome[d] sinners and [ate] with them” (Luke 15:2). It got to the point that the Pharisees criticized Him (Matt. 9:11) because they could not conceive that Jesus could do such a thing and be called the Son of God.
As Christian women in leadership, we can easily be pulled into a “bubble” if we are not careful. We can become so focused on what we are doing within the four walls of the church, that our compassion for those outside them might be lost. I encourage you to stir up the fire of compassion within you and step out boldly as Jesus did. Your city will never be the same. Will you choose to “burst” your Christian “bubble” today?
0 comments:
Post a Comment