BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, August 30, 2009

My Identity


Those Americans made fun of me every chance they got. They were cruel because I couldn’t speak English.” Those were the words I heard from my father’s lips one night after he got home from work. We were at the dinner table and he had just narrated a story about the first time he attempted to order food at a McDonald’s in the United States. He had only left El Salvador a few months earlier because of the violent revolution that was taking place. “I ordered a meal at the drive through window and then decided to ask for ketchup. I couldn’t pronounce the word very well, so it sounded more like “katsap”. The guy asking for my order yelled “what?!” every time I tried to say it more clearly and finally ended up cursing at me.” You could tell that even though it had happened years earlier, it still brought back feelings of pain and resentment in my father.

When you’re 10 years old and you hear your father speak these words, something inside of you changes. In my case his story translated to: “You’re different. Your family is different, your culture is different, and everything about you is not the norm.” I grew up feeling inferior in a lot of ways. I felt that somehow being Latina meant that I was dumber than everyone else. My grades didn’t reflect this at all, but it was still the way I felt when I was with other people from other ethnic backgrounds, especially Caucasians. In high school I was in the gifted and talented classes when it came to literature and writing. At times I was the only Latina in those classes, which made me feel even more awkward. I was later accepted at the University of Maryland College Park, which was huge for my family and friends. I knew I was talented, but it was hard to get past my insecurities.

Little by little, as my relationship with the Lord grew, I began to understand that my identity had to be based on more than certain ethnic characteristics. I had to get past the negative experiences my father had faced, past the fact that I was Latina, and see myself simply as a creature of God. One day I read Genesis 9:6b that says, “…For in the image of God has God made man.” (NIV) This meant that my nature was more like my heavenly Father’s, than my earthly father’s. What a revelation this was!

As I thought more about this subject, I decided to search for the definition of the word identity. Webster’s Dictionary defines identity as the “sameness of essential or generic character in different instances”. If we think about it, wherever we go, we are the same. Wherever we go we carry our Father’s nature. Every situation that we experience, we are creative and rational like He is, relational, emotional and volitional. Each of these God characteristics plays out in some way throughout all of our life circumstances. We cannot help but be like our God.

To know and understand this is reassuring to me. The more I comprehend it, the more confident I feel. I feel that I have what it takes within me to achieve and accomplish whatever He is calling me to do. I am equipped because of my godly nature to do above and beyond what I’ve dreamed. My identity is not based on ethnicity, family, culture or certain preferences anymore, it is based on my Creator: Jesus Christ. The more I know Him through His Word, the more I know who I am and my purpose on the earth.

0 comments: